Wednesday, July 18, 2012

the time the winds came.

the downed tree my brother pushed out of the road with his bumper.

As most of you know, parts of the east coast got SLAMMED with a peculiar wind storm about two weeks ago (already ??). We happened to be right in the thick of it here in the heart of Virginia, and I had never seen anything like it. We've had our share of high winds and trees going down, but this was something else. We were down at our creek picnic area celebrating my niece's 4th birthday-eve, when all of a sudden out of nowhere I noticed a black curtain being pulled across the sky to which I said, "Is it supposed to storm tonight?" As soon as that last word came out, the first gush of wind came and we were in for it. Being the closeted thrill-seekers that we are (and because we may have had a little beer buzz), we got up and started running around in the wind, doing circles with our fists in the air & towels out like Superman capes telling Mother Nature to bring it...we were ready for whatever she was wanting to give us!!

And then we lost power for 10 days.

And it was scheduled to be one of the hottest weeks of the summer.

Oh boy.

Obviously, I made it. I almost had a total conniption one afternoon, but I made it. I actually enjoyed it. It taught me a few things about myself and my habits, and I appreciate it for that. I made some notes one evening on what this semi-test of survival taught me:
  • I spent waaaaaaay less money than I would have had the internet been working.
  • I was eating fresher and I was eating less (thanks to the heat).
  • I realized that I don't NEED what I think I need in and around my home. 
  • What I truly NEED is water to use or cool off in, family, friends, food, and sleep.
  • It's okay to miss a shower for a couple of days...as long as I got in the creek or pool.
  • I never thought that I should be doing something else because all I could do was what I was doing at that time. Being on overload was not an option in the heat.
  • I have a new respect for real, tangible books which saved my days and nights. Thank you Mr. Head Lamp.
  • Car chargers are the bomb-diggity.
  • I need more candles.


 Fern was "helping" to clear sticks from the creek.

I tooted my own horn for making it with a positive attitude while others were complaining and getting in fights at the gas station. Yes, that really happened.

It seemed so quiet while the power was off...not just because a/c units and water pumps weren't humming, but there was a sense of stillness and peace in the air. 

I was a little sad to see that go.


No comments:

Post a Comment