Thursday, January 31, 2013

birthday cards: january


If anyone knows me, they know that I love paper. If anyone really knows me, they know I would prefer that paper to be letterpress. I cannot get enough of it. I would LOVE to jump ahead to a time where I had a completely working machine (and repaid my debt from getting it in working order), knew how to work it, made a living doing it, and could spread the joy of a letterpress card or print to some sweet consumer who appreciated them as much as I do.

Well, since I don't have a time machine (do you?), I am going to remain the sweet consumer who appreciates letterpress so much that I just want to spread the love all year round.

The one resolution (if you can call it that) I did make for 2013, besides choosing and taking part in One Little Word, was that I was going to not only recognize birthdays, but also send cards to my family and close friends through the Pony Express. And these weren't going to be just any 'ole card...they were going to all be letterpress cards. Yeah buddy! It's a total win/win/win situation: I get to pick out and touch and admire the fine craftsmanship of the letterpresser, my friends and family will receive a great-looking birthday card ON their birthday (I've got them marked on my calendar a month in advance and two days ahead of their special day), and I am supporting mostly small businesses through Etsy or their personally-owned websites. I couldn't think of a better deal.

So far, I have sent all of January's cards out and I couldn't be more excited to send more. The receiver's have been very appreciative and have loved actually getting mail that isn't bills or catalogs. Birthdays are a big deal, and should be celebrated! Each month, I am going to document the cards that I sent and link them up to their respective companies in case any of them catch your eye for someone special in your life!

1. One Good Bumblebee (link inactive)
2. Eggpress
3. McBitterson's
4. Favorite Letterpress
(And of course I'll  be doing a big spread in my Project Life album at the end of the year....)

No comments:

Post a Comment