Friday, May 3, 2013

discomfort.

MG 9174I've never been one for pictures…therefore I've never been one for self-portraits. It's a collection of insecurity, feeling stupid during the process, and disinterest in the product. I know, terrible, right1? But I'm working on it, I really am. I look at the above picture (which was taken a couple of months ago) and I see a self-taken photo of myself that I do genuinely like. So I choose it. And as it's sitting here a little large on my screen I start to question if this is a good picture (like I've done every time I pull this picture to use). Does the light hitting my left eye make it look weird? Is this a smile or a smirk? Is my uncomfortableness just screaming through the lens? Where are my eyebrows? SHUT UP YOU! You're hair looks awesome, that scarf is the bomb, and I see some fun secrets in those baby blues.

But because of the self-depricating, negative, nit-picky observations that are much easier to believe (like Julia Roberts tells Richard Gere in Pretty Woman), I've strayed away from putting pictures of myself anywhere on social media (unless I'm with someone else within the frame), and when I look back on feeds or albums I notice there is always one thing missing. Me. And I don't want to be missing from my own life.

So, hi, nice to meet you.
_______________________

Feel free to join in blogging everyday in May here. Today's topic: Something(s) that make you uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment