Monday, May 20, 2013

here + there: farm edition

MG 0066
MG 9887
MG 0072
MG 0097
MG 0157
MG 0167
Before yesterday, I feel like I haven't left the farm in weeks. And I definitely don't blame myself - I love it here. It is such a part of my life - I mean, I live here - but even with the day to day stuff. Each day brings something new, and there never really is a dull moment. Even if I feel like not much is going on, I know there is SO much happening that I just can't see from where I am. A few days ago, I was just piddling in my house doing my thing and I heard my brother yelling to me from the field across the street to grab my camera and go out back. So, I did and was struck by the view of crazy sheets of fog literally rolling in waves across the field...it was so eery, but yet amazing. The weather has been so dynamic these past few weeks - crazy wind gusts, strange cloud formations, dark skies, rain for days, heat waves, and cold fronts. I realize it's Spring, which is somewhat of a transitional season between temperatures, but I don't remember it being so full of character in years past. It sure has provided lots of "wows" from me, that's for sure. This past heat wave kicked my brother in the butt to get the sheep shorn, which they only have three + a lamb, so I was called to go and help with that. It was his first time shearing, and it was amazing how much wool came off one sheep and how soft and thick it was. I definitely want to be involved with the next steps of getting it washed, carded, and then possibly even spun into wool we can use.

My one-on-one homeschooling is still going on, and I absolutely love it. We are pulling from a couple of curriculums related to Waldorf, while throwing in some aspects of my past teaching experience. These past couple of weeks I've been adding in some handwork, which included making looms from sticks we walked around and found and some yarn I had on hand. It's so nice to take the time to really get hands-on with a project and also watch my nephew's wheels turn as he is figuring what works best for him. It's definitely a learning experience for me as well, and I really do feel fortunate to be able to actually use what I love about teaching and remember why I chose it as my career focus in college. I hope to continue this for as long as I can (and as long as my heart is in it) and maybe even slowly adding in a couple more kids to get a well-rounded little classroom going…maybe even growing into a small school. The possibilities are wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment