Tuesday, September 3, 2013

a new month. a new season.


Even though summer is not officially over, I can't help but feel like it is swiftly coming to a close. My nephew and I start school tomorrow and the idea of new school supplies and a new schedule add to the feeling of an encroaching new season. My family always spends Labor Day weekend at our lake house, and it always feels like a last hooray. But, this year, I'm not going to let it be. I'm going to take the carefree, action-packed, light feeling of summer with me for as long as I possibly can. 

I've got some pretty neat things going on that I'm excitedly hoping with steer me in the direction of contentedness and peaceful living. Which is basically just a spruced up way of saying that I am listening to my gut on passions and plans, and following personal intentions.  

For instance,

...I've started going to yoga twice a week. I'm putting it in my planner and making it a priority instead of a 'free time' plan.

...I signed up for an online letterpress class to introduce myself to the art and get my hands dirty...in a craft kind of way.

...I'm starting fresh in a new year of homeschooling with my nephew. I'm remaining focused and not allowing myself to get overwhelmed with everyone else's ideas and schedules...which are all very attraction in their pretty, wonderfully organized...ahhh, I'm such a sucker!! We're working from one main Waldorf curriculum and then I'm pulling from one other when we feel we need a little extra info. Last year, we started mid-year, so I'm anxious to see how much more successful this year will be...with my nephew and with myself. 

...I'm going gluten-free. I got a pretty big health scare with some bloodwork I got back last week, and turns out its pretty apparent I have a major wheat allergy that's reeking havoc on my hormones. It's the reason I just haven't been feeling 100% and I'm pretty stoked about making this transition and the positive results it will be bring. I'm already eating as local as I can, only grassfed meats, no processed foods, etc., so I guess this is just one more step to wholesome. Although it's really cramping my IPA style. Love me some IPAs. Hard cider is just not going to cut it.

...After my summer of being on the road, I'm taking this month to hang out around home and enjoy some weekends with local adventures, if anything. I am going to NC at the end of the month to see my boys, Langhorne Slim & The Law, but until then I'm just farm-chillin' like a villain.

...I'm getting back into reading before bed. With a strict bedtime as part of my 'treatment' plan, I've been enjoying some reading time to help me unwind and doze off easier. I'm currently reading the last book in the Matched trilogy and so far, I'm totally digging it. Nothing like a little teen utopia to ease off into REM.

No comments:

Post a Comment