Monday, September 16, 2013

a week in the life: saturday + sunday

MG 1773MG 1776MG 1779MG 1815  Version 2MG 1783MG 179020130914 154508 resized20130915 120035 resizedMG 1818Wow. This weekend was absolutely awesome. (as is finishing up A Week in the Life!)

We had an event on Saturday where we set up camp and demonstrated skills that we had been learning about the past couple of years to educate people about 'lost' skills and/or encourage them to become and part of the group if they are interested in learning these skills. We have learning so many important skills that are definitely not taught to the average person and are Native American-inspired, such as starting fires with bow drills, hide tanning, burning bowls & spoons, camouflaging, trapping, building shelter, filtering water with no equipment, etc. It's been fascinating, overwhelming, and eye-opening. I've been a part of the group for about 2 years and there is still so much to learn and so much that I need to practice. But, I have the confidence that I would need to tap into if I were ever caught in a situation where I needed to not depend on anything other than what I could find in the woods. A lot of people stopped by to check out what the heck was hanging in the teepee structure, make a bowl from clay, or just talk to a group member about who we were and what we were doing. My brother also had a table nearby representing the farm with Beledene and her bull calf, who lounged around all day in the shade chewing their cud. Oh, the life.

We camped down at the creek that night to celebrate the end of our second class series. I think I got about 10-15 minutes of sleep a few times and had Fern down in the bottom of my sleeping bag with the hiccups. Needless to say, some couch time and then my bed felt so good last night.
The canine beauty is a neighbor's wolf who is probably the softest animal I've ever touched in my life. I think all of the singing to he gets definitely helps. Isn't he awesome?

What I am learning about my days: I am still processing this whole project, which really, this is just the half of it. I am so proud of my self for completing it which has certainly sparked a little confidence in the creative department. My phone died on Saturday which was a huge bummer with our camping adventure and I was using my brother's camera during the last class on Sunday so I don't have those pictures yet on my computer. And I was okay with all of that. I was capturing what I could capture with what I had at the time. I think the main things that I learned through this project were to use my time wisely and constructively, and to relaxing about photo documentation helps to ease the pressure in turn allowing me to get through the week. I am happy for the break of not lugging my camera around, and excited about getting this all organized into an album. I'm sure more that I learned will come to me then and I'll be sure to keep you posted!!

Ali Edwards has a great list of folks at the end of each day's post who also took part in A Week in the Life this past week…check 'em out!

No comments:

Post a Comment